Like a phoenix from the flames….

It’s been a (very long) while since I did anything with this.

I’ve been focussing on the code to get a MIDI event from my binary to Logic Pro X and I took a long break between iterations 🙂

However, I have succeeded. I’ve put the code on GitHub ( ).

The next step is to build a circuit again. I’ve found a different approach that will mean I don’t need to guess when the drums are hit. Information is at

Slight change of code

Well, the original intention was to use pybonjour and dpkt but it got a little complex when I actually read through the RTP-MIDI RFC ( ) and got to the section on journals.

I’m hoping that the reference code at will achieve what I need. I’ve looked it over and can see that there is specific handling of SIP packets.

SIP is used by standard implementations but Apple ( in their infinite wisdom ) uses their own protocol. So, I’ve written some C code to handle pack and unpack of buffers into data structures and vice-versa. This will be a replacement for the SIP code in the reference. My test code works with each buffer I’ve taken from packet captures. It unpacks into a data structure and I can then pack that data structure into a new buffer that matches what I read originally. A quick valgrind leak check shows that I’m not leaking memory 🙂

Now that I’m switching to C, I needed to look at avahi ( ) to register the service instead of pybonjour. There is a simple client example at which I will modify to my own requirements.

The sample uses a polling loop which never returns control to the calling program so I either have to run it in a thread ( which I don’t really want to do ) or to poll at regular intervals. Regular intervals works better because I also need to check the inbound UDP ports for RTP and AppleMIDI events. It also means that I can create a listening socket of some kind to receive input events from any other code I write to read the GPIO data from the interface.

Good job I have a few days off this week 🙂