Thanks to a comment from one of my Facebook “friends”, who suggested I etch the name of each host name into the plastic plate on my Pi rack, I found a project for a Raspberry Pi controlled CNC laser etcher.
Someone tweaked the project and put together a video showing how his contraption works:
Thanks to Bryan, I got a couple of old DVD-RW drives and took them apart for the stepper motors.
The project suggests that the laser diodes in the DVD drives can be salvaged but the manufacturers of *these* drives saw fit to encase them in concrete and diamond dust so there’s no way to get them out cleanly.
What’s next is to wait for my eBay purchases to show up and I can start on the stepper motor drivers. I know I can buy them fully-assembled but there’s no fun in just clipping it all together, is there?
At some point between making the triumphant ( now seen as premature ) video of the input circuit working and now, the little elves of mischief have removed a vital but undiscoverable piece of the circuit that is preventing it from working.
It’s a little frustrating as I’ve taken it all apart and rebuilt it plus I’ve replaced the op-amp in case I blew the chip ( not that likely ).
So, in the absence of inspiration or serendipity, I’ve replaced it with another design from a previous post. It Kinda Works(tm) but I’m back to having a trailing voltage when then I read the ADC which means a double reading. I’ve connected up the multiplexer to drain the capacitor but it’s not draining that quickly.
So, into the box it goes and I’ll take a short break to concentrate on something else.
I realized that I didn’t need another ADC to clear down the capacitor. The circuit I’m basing this on uses 2 multiplexers: 1 for the input select to send on to an ADC and one to clear the capacitor for the selected drum input. The design makes sense because you’re selecting the input and those same input selections will also be used to select the clear down.
However, given that the MCP3008 (ADC) has 8 inputs, the first multiplexer is redundant.
So, I now have the ADC and one multiplexer.
I put together a test circuit to make sure that I understood how to talk to the multiplexer and that seems to be working fine.
As I’ve been preparing to build a test circuit using the CD4051 multiplexer, I’ve realized that a multiplexer isn’t an ADC. The CD4051 is an 8:1 multiplexer meaning that the Raspberry Pi will select which of the 8 inputs to select to read from the 1 output. That’s fine and dandy if all I want to do is to check whether a drum pad has been hit. It’s a 1 or a 0 for on off.
However, if I want to determine velocity ( how hard the pad has been hit ), I need to be able to measure voltage too. This is why I need the ADC.
I still have the MCP3008 ADC chip from my previous circuitry. So, what I’m planning to do is to connect the output from the CD4051 to one of the inputs on the MCP3008, select the CD4051 input using 3 GPIO pins and then permanently select the single input on the MCP3008 and measure the voltage.
At least, that’s the theory. First step is to get the Raspberry Pi talking to the CD4051 in the first place. I’ve laid the groundwork down by making sure I understand exactly which GPIO pins to assign to be the A/B/ C input select on the CD4051. Next, I’ll build up the circuit for the drum input using the LM324 op-amp.
4.7uF is *not* the same as 4.7nF. Like I suspected, I’m using a capacitor that’s too big for the job. So, I’ve ordered some nano-Farad capacitors.
I played around with replacing the 1M ohm resistor with a variable potentiometer and that allows me to “tune” the signal a little more so that I can make the circuit more or less sensitive.
I think I also need to change the algorithm that’s sampling the data because it has some problems where it’s still measuring the decay (which should go away once the right capacitor is in place) but it’s also displaying the same measurement in a short period of time (milliseconds ?).
I did have it so that the measurement is only done when the delta between the current reading and the last one was positive ( an increase ) but that doesn’t allow for when I go from a hard hit (high number) to a light tap ( low number ). I figure that if the capacitor was smaller, the voltage will be held for a shorter amount of time and will drop to zero quicker meaning that sampling a positive delta will always be an intended event. TIme will tell. I’m just waiting for the postman now.
I actually got the circuit wired up again and, somehow, it seemed to work this time. I saw a voltage change with small taps and large hits so the next step was to connect the ADC (MCP3008) and the Pi Cobbler (GPIO cable connector).
I also took the python script from the same project and hacked it to remove the audio volume stuff.
It was during my initial test that I found I had connected the GPIO cable the wrong way round on the Pi which meant that nothing worked. My first thought was that I’d broken something but I pulled everything out and did a quick LED test ( see https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gpio-examples/tux-crossing/gpio-examples-1-a-single-led/ ) which proved that none of the GPIO pins were responding as they should have done. So, I took the case apart, turned the cable around and reassembled everything. This time, the LED test worked as I expected (cue a quick Gangnam across the living room to celebrate ).
After wiring the ADC up again, it was a success as this video shows:
Next to do is to remove the capcitor to see if I can get the slope to decay much quicker.