The remote won’t work unless it can transmit commands so I soldered up a new Wireless module. Because the Wireless transceiver uses SPI, some pins are shared on the ATTiny84/85 so I decided there would be a direct connection from the ATMega328 to the Wireless transceiver.
I also purchased some AMS1117 3.3v regulators to avoid needing to put a 5v-to-3.3v convertor myself. This reduced the amount of soldering considerably.
I had to solder some extra headers to the board so that the transceiver could be supported. The idea was that I could make the transceiver removable.
This may bite me in the future in terms of size of the case.